On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 06:53:20PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 07:30:17PM +0200, Daniel Huhardeaux wrote:
> > Le 04/08/2019 à 15:57, dnsmasqyq....@neverbox.com a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I know this is not a dnsmasq issue per se, but all my machines are
> > > Ubuntu based and they all can't utilized the local dnsmasq server that
> > > I setup for my LAN, which literally making my local dnsmasq server
> > > useless.
> > >
> > > The problem is that the NetworkManager that Ubuntu uses insists to use
> > > its own DNS server, which is 127.0.0.53, not the DHCP/DNS server I
> > > setup for my LAN.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering how you guys solved such problems, since you are using
> > > dnsmasq server just fine. I had been asking such questions at the
> > > Ubuntu and NetworkManager side multiple times at multiple places, but
> > > have never been able to get a straight/working answer.
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > It's not a NetworkManager nor an Ubuntu problem: you have systemd-resolve
> > installed on your machine (guess Ubuntu 18.04) which uses 127.0.0.53 as IP
> > for DNS. You have to go in /etc/systemd and adapt the resolved.conf file to
> > put your dnsmasq IP server as DNS.
>
> systemd-resolve is irrelevant to the OP's question,

> it provides local 'on the machine' DNS caching.

Original Poster didn't known that, from my point of view.
(Making it relevant to tell that)

> What the OP wants is 'local on his LAN' DNS
> (at least I'm pretty sure that's what he wants).

I assume that also.
Plus some awareness that asking the right question
is almost getting the whole answer.

For in-exprienced people is it hard to ask the right question.
We all known that, we all have been newbies.

> He needs to turn off whatever is doing DHCP for the LAN
> and get dnsmasq to do it instead.

Having multiple DHCP servers (with different configuration)
can indeed cause the symptoms that OP is reporting.

It is fairly blunt to say that a DHCP server needs to be turned
off without explain why.

Let's see with which follow-up  Original Poster comes.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven