I retried it, this time leaving systemd-resolved alone and setting
dnsmasq to listen on a different port. Same result though, when
querying pir.org I get a long pause followed by a TCP / truncated dig
result.

~$ dig -p 5353 @127.0.0.1 pir.org

;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

dnsmasq log:

dnsmasq: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 8.8.8.8 to 1280

Does anyone here have a Google Cloud account they could test this
with? Queries forwarded to 8.8.8.8 with dnssec enabled?