There seems to be confusion here between code style, and code
representation.

Code style, ie layout, indent width, is not negotiable.

Code representation is the use of tab characters at 8-character stops.
If your IDE or other device doesn't use 8 characher stops, it will
mangle code. That doesn't mean the code is badly formatted, it means
your display method is incompatible.

It's quite possible to get around this by running expand on every
commit, so that only spaces are used in the repo. It's even possible to
run expand on every existing file, at the expense of polluting the logs.
I don't think there are any other downsides to this.

Or people could  configure IDEs and editors to use sane tab stops.