On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Geert Stappers <stapp...@stappers.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 03:52:35PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
> > I want to know if this is in spec, or needs out of spec hacks:
> >
> > For any dhcp client request, server gives the same IP.
> >
> > The use case: dnsmasq is serving on 1 interface, and a client will be
> > directly connected to that interface - no hub/switch/vlan etc. So there
> can
> > only be 1 device ever connected, and I want that device to have 10.1.2.3
> -
> > even if I yank  it and plug in a 2nd device with a different mac etc.
> > The device should get 10.1.2.3.
> >
> > Even if the previous lease has not expired.    which is where I suspect
> > this gets sketchy.   But maybe the spec has a prevision for this.
> >

> Quoting manual page of dnsmasq

>        cast>]][,<lease time>]
>

> > I want to know if this is in spec, or needs out of spec hacks:
>
> Please let us, the mailinglist archive, know if
>
> dhcp-range=10.1.2.3,10.1.2.3,255.255.255.248
>
> serves the request.

That is half of this.  What I don't know is how the lease comes into play
when the 2nd machine comes on line.
to be clear, the first machine will have its network cable unplugged, so no
chance of it telling the server releasing the lease:

   DHCPRELEASE  -  Client to server relinquishing network address and
                   cancelling remaining lease.

(really it is not the rj45 but the power cord being pulled.  yes, this is a
hostel environment and who knows what will really happen.)

I suspect if i want this I need to have both clients use the same client
ID.  But I am hoping there is a server side option to achieve the same
thing.
(the goal is for all the networking config to be done server side, no
tweaking client config.)

> Groeten
> Geert Stappers
> --