On 10/11/2019 5:09 PM, Guillaume B. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First time subscriber here.
>
> I have issues with dnsmasq not working in Debian 10.1 buster. dnsmasq-base
> works fine with "dns=dnsmasq" set in NetworkManager.conf (that is I can
> query the upstream server and cache the dns addresses locally) but as soon
> as I install dnsmasq, the network won't work. It seems like I cannot get a
> DHCP lease from my router and I only receive a DHCPNAK reply instead of the
> normal DHCPACK which allows me to connect to the internet.

Looks like your are mixing the dhcp/dns server 'dnsmasq' with 'dhcp
client', the dhcp client will get a lease from the upstream server and
dnsmasq will take care of ip addressing and dns for the hosts that are
behind dnsmasq server.

On Debian the dhcp client is per default 'dhclient'.

> I have tried different options set in dnsmasq.conf but even a virgin list
> won't work, the network connection simply does not happen and
> NetworkManager won't even register any addresses in /etc/resolv.conf, it
> just leaves it blank (even when I manually set the local dns to 127.0.0.1
> and the upstream to my router's address it won't work).

- Why do you need dnsmasq and not simply 'dnsmasq-base'?
- Did you install the 'resolvconf' package (NM/resolvconf is handling
'/etc/resolv.conf')?
- Why do you want to use dnsmasq on a host where networkmanager is
installed?

--
John Doe