On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:04:37PM +0100, Sean Warner wrote:

> I don't think a "default domain" entry is coming from my Windows laptop.
> It's Windows 7 Home Premium and that version knows nothing about domains. I
> googled that and also to see if Chrome maybe adds in a .home if a domain is
> "missing" but I don't think it does either.

Windows uses the term 'domain' to mean something more than just DNS
domain.  All versions of Windows are aware of DNS domains;  it's the
other kind they upsell.

> I checked my router homepage and there is an option in there to pull up the
> homepage using the url http://mymodem.home instead of the usual
> http://192.168.1.254 It lets you change the "mymodem" part. So maybe the
> request for http://mymovies somehow gets the .home domain added to it when
> the request goes through the router and back to dnsmasq ?
>
> Regarding having: "domain = home" in your dnsmasq config. I don't! Also my
> Windows laptop isn't configured to use dnsmasq for dhcp. My router gives out
> ip addresses and the laptop has a fixed ip as does the Pi.

Your router is almost certainly sending .home as the DNS domain in its
DHCP response.  Windows is appending it on bare-hostname lookups because
it was told by its DHCP server that it is part of the .home DNS domain.

khm