Finally got to troubleshoot this today...
The issue arises when there's only a single "proper" pxe-service
configured (one that actually has a boot-filename defined). Is this
expected?

So this works:
pxe-prompt="dnsmasq menu"
pxe-service=7, "Boot UEFI CSA 7", efi64/syslinux.efi
pxe-service=7, "Other item CSA 7",etc/other.efi
pxe-service=7, "Exit menu"

But this does not:
pxe-prompt="dnsmasq menu"
pxe-service=7, "Boot UEFI CSA 7", efi64/syslinux.efi
pxe-service=7, "Exit menu"

Cheers,
MZ