On 05/03/2020 21:05, Geert Stappers wrote:

> `git diff` is huge, almost 22000 lines.  Yes, a huge clean-up.
>

> I love to see that in the 2.81 release of dnsmasq.
>
>  git commit -am "Removed useless whitespace" --author "Geert Stappers
> <stapp...@stappers.nl>"

I just spent a couple of hours playing with the options to GNU ident, to
see if I could get it to clean up not just whitespace but also any
identing other more subtle problems, on the grounds that if we're going
to make a huge formatting commit, we should do it just once.

My conclusion is that there is some stuff in there that needs to be
fixed, but I can't make ident work in a way where I'm happy to run it
automatically. I therefore plan to do this.

1) Run ident once over the code with the best options I have, then fix
up the small amount of stuff it does which I don't like (mainly
line-breaks). That should also remove trailing spaces and tabs and
trailing blank lines from files. I'll use Geerts scripts to make sure.

2) Commit that.

3) Add git hooks to expand or similar to keep the whitespace stuff clean
going forward.

This is not something I'm going  to do for 2.81, sorry Geert. It's too
big a change for this late in the cycle.