On 06/07/2020 14:54, Dominik wrote:
> Hey Matthias,
>
> more out of curiosity than anything else: What is a proper reason to
> bind only to IPv4 but not IPv6 (or vice versa)?
> Just checking here that your customer doesn't maybe want something silly
> and you should rather explain to them why they actually don't want this.
>
> Best,
> Dominik
>
> On 06.07.20 14:09, Matthias May wrote:
>> Hi List
>>
>> I have run into the situation, that a customer wants to only bind the DNS
>> service to 0.0.0.0 but not to ::
>>
>> I'm not sure this is possible.
>> While i was able to make a config which binds only to 0.0.0.0 through a
>> combination of
>> --use-interfaces and --except-interface this results in a dnsmasq instance
>> which does not handle DHCP anymore.
>> I'm think i understand why this does not work.
>>
>> However i want to check with the list, if this is a reasonable need, and if
>> i should send a patch
>> which adds support for something like:
>> --disable-ipv6-on-wildcard and --disable-ipv4-on-wildcard
>> which would change the behaviour of
>> void create_wildcard_listeners(void)
>> so it doesn't unconditionally bind ipv4 and ipv6.
>>
>> BR
>> Matthias

Hi Dominik

Well the system in question has
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
thus the expected output would be that no IPv6 bindings exist at all.
I kind of understand that when IPv6 is disabled, that one would not expect to
see :::53 in netstat -nlp
On the other hand i also see that if no IPv6 address exist on the system, there
is not much that can be done with :::53.
In the end probably more a cosmetic issue.
I was thinking into the direction that create_wildcard_listeners checks by
itself if the system has IPv6
enabled/disabled, and also expose this as a manual know for an user to set.

BR
Matthias