On 12/23/2020 7:08 PM, Arthur Wiebe wrote:
 From reading the man page, and my understanding of the statement "Only one
hostname can be given in a --dhcp-host option, but aliases are possible by
using CNAMEs. (See --cname )" I've been attempting to implement this
without any success so far.

My goal is to have two names get assigned the same IP via DHCP. The purpose
of this is transitioning IPSec IDs as I have strongswan using dnsmasq to
assign static IPs to mobile clients.

In this example I would like both DEVICE_V1 and DEVICE_V2 to get the same
IP address 10.1.2.3 and my current attempted configuration is as follows.

/etc/hosts contains:

10.1.2.3 DEVICE_V1

--

dnsmasq conf file contains:

cname=DEVICE_V2,DEVICE_V1
dhcp-host=DEVICE_V1,10.1.2.3,infinite

Couple of thoughts here and this assumes that DEVICE_V1 is having the
correct IP before fiddling with cnames:

- Does it help if you remove the line from /etc/hosts file and only use
the 'dhcp-host' statement?

With 'dhcp-host' as shown above, the client presenting the hostname
'DEVICE_V1' should get the fixed address shown above.

The cname option that you have, will let DNS resolve  'DEVICEV1' or
'DEVICE_V2'.

So 'host DEVICE_V1' or 'host DEVICE_V2' should show for both the IP of
DEVICE_V1.

- When Dnsmasq starts, is DEVICE_V1 present in the lease file?

Cnames are only created if the hostname is known to Dnsmasq when starting.

--
John Doe