On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:21:57PM +0100, Jesus M Diaz wrote:
> Simon Kelly wrote:
> > To answer the question, the host doesn't get the same address because
> > "multiple MAC addresses on the same line" is NOT the same as a MAC
> > address with wildcards in it. If you had
> >
> > dhcp-host=96:8d:d4:d0:4d:e3,a4:50:46:d0:4d:e3,192.168.0.217
> >
> > then it would work, but
> >
> > dhcp-host=*:*:*:d0:4d:e3,192.168.0.217
> >
> > doesn't.
> >
> > I can't see why the code shouldn't  be altered to make this work, this
> > is just a case that nobody anticipated.
> >

> I tried with explicit mac-addresses (it's annoying to write 4 versions, but
> not a big deal if it works), and I got the same result.

Acknowledge on "Does not work with four explicit MAC addresses"

What about  _two_ MAC addresses like

   dhcp-host=*:*:*:d0:4d:e3,*:*:*:d0:4d:e3,192.168.0.217

???

> > A possibly more tidy solution to this problem is to configure your
> > clients to send client-IDs in their DHCP requests. If client-IDs are
> > present, they totally override MAC addresses, so a client which always
> > send the same clienr-ID will always be identified and keep the same IP
> > address, even if its MAC address changes. Of course this only works if
> > you're OS/DHCP client combination allows configuration of client-IDs.
> > AFAIK all the common Linux ones do.
> >
> That would be really great, but unfortunately I don't control all the
> devices, some of them being mobile phones with very little room to
> configure.

Consider that such "configuration" is already in place, that the DHCP
client already sents a device name. Either factory default like
"Android-d0-4d-e3" or end user tuned like "Bobs Collar".

>  Thanks!

Make another visit the mailinglist archive. Find back again
the two MAC address posting (and share this time the link with us)
IIRC is it a simular situation  ( same problem =>  same solution )

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse