On 03.09.21 17:13, Chris Green wrote:
I know there probably isn't a "right" way to do this but, while I've
been trying to sort out how to make my dns/dhcp more resilient, I have
looked at my existing dnsmasq running on a Pi and it looks a bit odd
to me.

It's a pretty standard, off the shelf Raspberry Pi installation using
the Lite version as it's headless.  The dnsmasq.conf file has been
changed quite a lot over the years though and I wonder if it's still
optimal.

The upstream servers *seem* to be specified in /etc/dhcpcd.conf as
follows:-

   # Example static IP configuration:
   interface eth0
   static ip_address=192.168.1.2/24
   #static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
   static routers=192.168.1.1
   static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.2 1.1.1.1 212.159.13.49

this is dhcp client configuration, not dhcp server.
iiuc it tells dhcp client not to use IP address, default route nor servers
that DHCP server provided.

I really wonder why you run dhcp client in this case.

/etc/resolv.conf is:-

   # Generated by resolvconf
   nameserver 127.0.0.1

this means local clients query something running on localhost, apparently
dnsmasq.

So, is the above OK?  Is it the "right" way to do it?  ....etc.

I recomment using nameservers the DHCP server provided, not override it
unless you really know why.

Also, I would put upstream nameservers to resolv.conf, so the resolving
works even if dnsmasq fails, crashes or is killed.

The /etc/resolv.conf is written by /etc/init.d/dnsmasq and is, I
believe, correct so that dnsmasq does local cacheing.  However I'm not
sure about the upstream servers in /etc/dhcpcd.conf including the
local host as well.

I don't see dnsmasq configuration here.

I assume it's configured but I am not familiar to raspberry configuration...
99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.