Hi Shrenik,

On 27/10/2021 16:38, Shrenik Bhura wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> I don't expect it to at all set a hostname.

I think this sentence points to the very heart of your problem.

I have been following this thread in detail.  Everything indicates that
the RPI device is getting an IP address set as hostname and sending that
to dnsmasq in the DHCP packet, which of course results in dnsmasq
correctly interpreting the "192" before the dot as the node part of the
hostname, as already pointed out by Matthias.

You said, earlier on:

/"Nothing on the server is configured to set the same.  The Raspberry Pi
client is netbooting, so nothing on the client side could be setting it."/

That's an invalid configuration.  All Linux-based systems - in fact all
POSIX systems - have a hostname, even if it is only "(none)" and pretty
much everything will break if there is not something set.  The same
applies to Windows, if you are netbooting that, and in fact every other
OS I have ever encountered that uses IP (which is a lot).

Something must always set the hostname, and it definitely looks like
yours is being set by the OS image you are netbooting.  If it's not
explicitly defined by the OS image, and also is not defined in the
dnsmasq DHCP parameters, then the OS image will likely be falling back
to using the IP address as a (unfortunate) last chance due to lack of
anything else.

If you are truly expecting that your RPI device can operate without
having a hostname of any kind, I'm afraid you are expecting something
that simply won't work and even if DHCP worked in that situation, pretty
much everything else you tried to run on the RPI would not work properly
either.

Regards,

Geoff.