On 09.11.21 17:02, Jerry Xiao wrote:
With dnsmasq 2.85 I was able to do the following:
1. set upstream servers (lets say 192.168.1.1) via dbus from the dhcp
client, in my case it was networkmanager.
2. add the following config (dnsmasq 2.85):
server=/google.com/#
server=/#/1.1.1.1

So that only google.com and its subdomains are forwarded to the
upstream server (192.168.1.1) while requests for any other domains went
ahead to 1.1.1.1.

However with the recent update of dnsmasq 2.86 I noticed that the same
config above would not work. It seems that the right syntax for
"server=/#/1.1.1.1" has become "server=//1.1.1.1". This isn't the
biggest problem though.

with this new config (dnsmasq 2.86):
server=/google.com/#
server=//1.1.1.1

Now every single domain (including google.com) is forwarded to the
upstream server (192.168.1.1) set via the dbus api instead of 1.1.1.1,

that's because the:

server=/google.com/#

means to send the "google.com" requests to default upstream server:

   The special server address '#' means, "use the standard servers", so
   --server=/google.com/1.2.3.4 --server=/www.google.com/# will send
   queries for *.google.com to 1.2.3.4, except *www.google.com which will
   be forwarded as usual.

while the:

server=//1.1.1.1

means to send UNQUALIFIED hosts to 1.1.1.1

which is an unexpected behavior change from the previous version.
Setting the upstream server (192.168.1.1) with this config line
"server=192.168.1.1" without dbus works, though.

Is there something wrong with the new upstream server selection logic?

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.