On 06.02.22 16:02, Ken Gillett via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
Any help with the CNAME problem?

On 4 Feb 2022, at 20:46, Ken Gillett via Dnsmasq-discuss
<dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:

I have several CNAMEs set up in DNSmasq on my Mac server that I thought were
working. If I use the 'host' command to check a CNAME e.g :-

        host thecname

it returns:-

        thecname is an alias for thetarget.
        thetarget has address xx.xx.xx.xxx

can you test again with "dig" ?

I now realise that all is not well. If I instead:-

        ping thecname

it returns:-

        ping: cannot resolve thecname: Unknown host

Which is apparent nonsense as it has just resolved that exact CNAME.

that "host" and "ping" use different ways to resolve names. "ping" uses
libc resolver library, while "host" uses DNS.
So they can give different results.

The problem appears to be that the client Mac performing the query adds the
domain name, so DNSmasq needs to resolve thecname.thedomain (which is not
cofigured), as if I use:-

        ping thecname.

It works.

Previously I used MacOS Server's DNS (BIND) and a CNAME is listed as:-

        thecname IN  CNAME thetarget.thedomain.

Which works perfectly. However, if I try something similar in DNSmasq, it
simply fails.

If instead I create the DNSmasq cname as:-

        cname=thecname.thedomain,thetarget

 That seems to work. But

Apart from being the inverse of how BIND configures CNAMEs, how can I
configure DNSmasq CNAMEs to work without having to add thedomain to every
cname in every CNAME record in DNSmasq?

you can not - DNS records are transmitted fully qualified and appending
domain name is local issue, it has nothing to do with DNS setup.

 I don't like to hard code things
like that as it could change.  Is there any way to make DNSmasq deal with
this appropriately?

It's now safe to throw off your computer.