On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 09:21:58AM -0800, Frank Liu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 3:37 AM Geert Stappers via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 01:01:51AM -0800, Frank Liu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running dnsmasq for dhcp/dns of a local test domain:
> > > test.example.com.
> > > Everything works fine. When a dhcp client (eg: client1) comes up, it gets
> > > the IP from dnsmasq, and I can dig/nslookup client1.test.example.com to
> > > get
> > > its IP.
> > >
> > > When I add a cname in the same domain, eg:
> > > cname=alias.test.example.com,client1.test.example.com
> > >
> > > dig/nslookup of alias.test.example.com only returns name
> > > client1.test.example.com, not the actual IP of client1.test.example.com
> > >
> > > It's interesting that if I add the cname for a different domain, eg:
> > > cname=alias.dummy.example.com,client1.test.example.com
> > >
> > > dig/nslookup of alias.dummy.example.com will return both name
> > > client1.test.example.com and its IP.
> > >
> > > I tried a few different versions but that doesn't make a difference.
> >
> > Please name those different versions.
> >

> 2.76 (Debian 9),   2.85 (Debian 11).

Ah, I'm now beyond the ambiguty of different version of dig/nslookup.

> > > Is this a known issue/limitation?
> >
> > What is the actual question?
> >

> Sorry, the question is in the email Subject. I guess it isn't clear, so I
> am pasting here:
> Does dnsmasq support cname within same domain?

:-)

I think it is more a dns-client problem as a dnsmasq problem.
As in: I don't yet understand the "problem".

> Thanks!

To early  ;-)

Come back with the output of

  dig client1.test.example.com
and
  dig alias.dummy.example.com

Plus the extended dns logging of dnsmasq for those two dns client
requests.

> Frank

Groeten
Geert Stappers