On 10/05/2022 16:40, Tom Keddie via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
Hi All,

    I think you're saying that it's not surprising that dnsmasq is not
    reading from the socket because the send queue is also full.

As per this thread on netdev (https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/cabuuw65r3or9hehsmt_isvx1f-7b6ecppdr+bnr6f6wbkpn...@mail.gmail.com/ <https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/cabuuw65r3or9hehsmt_isvx1f-7b6ecppdr+bnr6f6wbkpn...@mail.gmail.com/>) it seems we were consuming the socket send buffer with pending packets waiting for ARP responses that were never coming.  This was causing failures sending to devices that were still live.

As per that thread we increased the /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default value so all sockets will have larger send buffers (the device has very few sockets in use). It might be useful to add dnsmasq config options to increase SO_SNDBUF on the dhcp and dns sockets to allow more granular control.

Thanks, Tom Keddie

So queries are being received, and answered, but the reply is being dropped by the kernel because the send queue is full of replies to dead hosts? If the hosts are dead, where are the queries coming from to generate these blocked replies?

It might be sensible to automatically increase the send queue length when a packer send gets EAGAIN. at least the first time, but I'd like to understand exactly what's going on first.

Simon.