With the default /etc/default/dnsmasq file on Ubuntu it says:-

    # If the resolvconf package is installed, dnsmasq will use its output
    # rather than the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to find upstream
    # nameservers. Uncommenting this line inhibits this behaviour.
    # Note that including a "resolv-file=<filename>" line in
    # /etc/dnsmasq.conf is not enough to override resolvconf if it is
    # installed: the line below must be uncommented.
    #IGNORE_RESOLVCONF=yes

I'm pretty sure I don't have resolvconf (or openresolv) so, in this
case how does dnsmasq find the upstream servers.  /etc/resolv.conf is :-

    # Generated by resolvconf
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search zbmc.eu

Which is a bit odd since I don't have resolvconf.

The system works OK, DNS works, but I'd like to know how.

--
Chris Green