The current format is %d, which is

"ref names, like the --decorate option of git-log[1]"

according to git help log.

I'm not clear what the difference between that and %(describe) is. The substituted value is used subtly in get-version as part of the build-process, so we need to be a little careful about changing things.

When the build runs on a fully-fledged git repo, rather than a tar file extracted from one, get-version does run "git describe". This isn't the case during the automated build, however.

Simon.