Hello,

in an addition to an older thread:

On 21/10/2022 22:23, Michael Traxler wrote:
When you disable the DNS-server via
port=0

the /etc/hosts file is ignored and also the
addn-hosts=<fn>
is ignored.

If one wants to disable reading /etc/hosts when DNS is disabled, using option "-h" is easy alternative which adds possibility to read other host file.

/etc/hosts does job similar as /etc/ethers, and while the latter has to be turned on by default using "-Z", /etc/hosts is usable at all times.