I do not like attempts to filter out valid queries from clients on the side of dns cache. It should cache the HTTPS type, which it currently does not. That makes those kind of queries much more expensive.

I think it should be fixed on the side of clients instead. If they ask for all addresses, just give them when they do exist. If the network is very expensive (can you be more concrete about type of connection?) then find a way to tell clients what it does provide (and what it does not). It does not provide IPv6? Well, then clients should not ask for it without a reason. They also have to be special on such expensive network, haven't they? I expect they have to be tuned somehow to avoid unnecessary network communication anyway.

What is a good response for AAAA record, which may exist, but we pretend it does not? NODATA or REFUSED? All similar quirks break DNSSEC deployment. Would you want also EDNS0 extension stripped from forwarded queries? Or at least reset DO bit to 0 always? I would prefer if it could return REFUSED to queries it does not want to forward. Faking empty responses is poor man's choice just to dodge assumptions on multiple sides. But if it does not want to forward something , I think REFUSED would be correct response. It would also solve problem to decide whether to send NOERROR or NXDOMAIN. And would cause no forwarded queries of unwanted types.

If it would work the same way as faking empty responses, I would vote for --reject-rrset=https instead of --filter-rrset=https. AAAA would be probably more difficult, because getaddrinfo(AF_UNSPEC) implementations may not handle REFUSED just one one of two queries well. But if browsers doing HTTPS would handle it better, please try that first. I admit I haven't tried. But HTTPS should not have similar legacy problems, it may work better.

Regards,
Petr