What I intended to do was:

    domain=mydomain.com
    local=/mydomain.com/

I wanted to have this be done in a single line so I simply did domain=mydomain,local which I thought was the equivalent of the above.

On 4/1/23 01:18, Simon Kelley wrote:

On 30/03/2023 22:00, 0zl wrote:
Greetings,

I believe this might be a bug in dnsmasq. When using the shorthand `domain=mydomain.com,local` and `dhcp-fqdn`, dnsmasq fails with:

`there must be a default domain when --dhcp-fqdn is set`

I'm not sure if this is intended behavior or not, but from what I could gather this shouldn't happen.

You're possibly a victim of dnsmasq's over-complex configuration syntax.

The error is `there must be a default domain when --dhcp-fqdn is set` which is true. By default domain it means a domain which doesn't apply only to hosts with an address in a particular address range.

The problem is that -domain=mydomain.com,local is being parsed by the dnsmasq code as being a domain which only applies to hosts which have an address in the same range as a network interface called "local". That's not a default domain, hence the problem.

I doubt that's what you intended your domain option to mean, but it's not clear what you are trying to do here: the "local" keyword only makes sense in a domain declaration which includes an address range.

If you let us know what you are behaviour you want, we can tell you how to configure dnsmasq to get it.

cheers,

Simon.