Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse typos and autocorrection errors.

________________________________
From: Dnsmasq-discuss <dnsmasq-discuss-boun...@lists.thekelleys.org.uk> on
behalf of Gary R. Schmidt <grschm...@acm.org>
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2023 11:47 AM
To: dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk
<dnsmasq-discuss@lists.thekelleys.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Need help on configuring dnsmasq

On 09/05/2023 00:10, Buck Horn wrote:
> On 08.05.2023 15:00:22, "public1020" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, dnsmasq does not support this feature.
>
> Why would you think so when you have been pointed to the correct answer
> from the docs?
>
> Matus UHLAR even quoted the decisive sentence for you:
>

>>> it does and the answer is listed in dnsmasq manual page, just where you
>>> would search for it:
>>> ... Note that /etc/hosts and DHCP leases override this for individual
>>> name
>

> 'address' would specify an IP address to return for any host in the
> given domains, i.e. including subdomains, so its not fit to satisfy your
> original request about an individual host name, e.g. for shadowing only
> example.com, but none of its subdomains.
>
> As the docs quoted by Matus UHLAR**state, you may use entries in
> /etc/hosts to that purpose:
> Just add some lines with the desired IP and hostname associations to
> that file.
>
> Of course, that may only work if you wouldn't prevent dnsmasq from
> reading /etc/hosts.
> So if your dnsmasq configuration would use the 'no-hosts' option (or if
> you'd just like to keep things separated), you could configure
> 'addn-hosts' to point dnsmasq to a separate file with your custom host
> definitions.

I will re-state all of this, to see if I have it right:

The OP wants example.com to return 1.2.3.4, but *.example.com to go up
the DNS tree and return the actual IP address.

Using -A/--address doesn't do this, it replies with 1.2.3.4 for
*.example.com as well as example.com, as documented (and presumably as
intended).

Setting example.com to be 1.2.3.4 in /etc/hosts or similar, and not
fiddling around with -A/--address should give the OP the required behaviour.

Is that an accurate summation?

        Cheers,
                Gary    B-)

Might try host-record=example.com,1.2.3.4