On 18.03.24 12:29, Elias LA via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
Yes, I am aware about the documentation which you quoted (and which I quoted).
But how do you explain that the domain `firebaseio.com` is being blocked by set
1 and NOT by set 2?

As you mentioned, we should expect `server=/firebaseio.com/#` to lookup the
domain from `8.8.8.8`.

1. since you already have "server=8.8.8.8", why do you explicitly set "server=/firebaseio.com/8.8.8.8" ?

- What is the point of resolving specific domain through a server, when you already resolve everything through the same server?

But it is not happening, and the domain is being blocked!

2. You have not said anything about it being blocked, you said it's resolving to local address. That is different issue.
And that is issue what server=/domain/# supposed to do -

3. you already set *.firebaseio.com not to resolve:
address=/*.firebaseio.com/

So why exactly you are complaining it's not resolving when you set it not to resolve?

On Monday, 18 March 2024 at 11:12, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>
wrote:

On 18.03.24 09:41, Elias LA via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:

> In mydnsmasq.conffile, I have either one of two sets of rules:
>
> # Set 1:
>
> no-resolv
> server=8.8.8.8
>
> server=/firebaseio.com/#
> address=/*.firebaseio.com/
>
> # Set 2:
>
> no-resolv
> server=8.8.8.8
>
> server=/firebaseio.com/8.8.8.8
> address=/*.firebaseio.com/
>
> Running `dig firebaseio.com` using Set 1 gives local address, but using
> `Set 2` give a valid server IP address. Why does not the first set give a
> valid IP? Is not the rule `server=/firebaseio.com/#`supposed to fetch the
> IP address from the "the standard servers" defined by `server=8.8.8.8`?

the dnsmasq documentation says in the "-S --local --server=" docs:

The special server address '#' means, "use the standard servers", so
--server=/google.com/1.2.3.4 --server=/www.google.com/# will send queries
for google.com and its subdomains to 1.2.3.4, except www.google.com (and
its subdo‐ mains) which will be forwarded as usual.

which usually means, use servers mentioned in /etc/resolv.conf for that
domain.

note that when you already have:

server=8.8.8.8

it's useless to specify any domains to the same server

> server=/firebaseio.com/8.8.8.8

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".