On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:13:44PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, bert hubert wrote:
>
> >In fact, I'm so far not having luck getting around even my 3-year old
> >primitive anti-spoofing behaviour.
>
> Funny, that's not what Dan's talk said. PowerDNS specifically was trivial to
> spoof based on bogus query types, since PowerDNS dropped those packets and

You misunderstood Dan's talk in that case. See
http://doc.powerdns.com/powerdns-advisory-2008-02.html for details.

> one of Dan's attacks. So don't come with this "my 3 year old code was not
> vulnerable" thing just because you didn't have the same bug as bind. You
> had a different bug, which would have not been an issue if three years ago
> instead you had DNSSEC.

Perhaps I should explain myself better. The software I refer to has detected
spoofing attempts in the past 3 years already, and acted on that. The
software I refer to has further behaviour that, unintentionally, makes
spoofing it very hard.

Again - this is about TODAY. DNSSEC might be the end all solution but even
if it is, it is not deployed widely today and it won't be 12 months from
now.

Countermeasures serve a function.

        Bert