> * Masataka Ohta:
>
> > Caching servers not validating the response?
>
> Yes, this is still a widely-held view.  To be honest, I don't think it
> makes much sense.  We need DNSSEC right now, not at some unknown
> future date when operating system vendors have shipped security-aware,
> validating stub resolvers for a while, so that there is finally a
> client population which supports end-to-end DNSSEC.
>
> What's worse, end-to-end DNSSEC support for mobile devices (which move
> from networks with resolvers which support end-to-end DNSSEC to
> networks which don't) is a completely unsolved problem.  We are
> basically at stage 0: denial that the problem exists.  Not good at
> all.

        The end state is likely to be something like.

                         Machine
        | DNSSEC aware client <-> validating iterative cache |

        The DNSSEC aware client may or may not leave the validation
        to the validating iterative cache.

        At the moment we have

          HOME                    ISP
        ----------              ---------
        | client |      <->     | cache |
        ----------              ---------

        Moving to the following generally would be a good steps forward

          HOME                             HOME
        ----------              ------------------------------
        | client |      <->     | validating iterative cache |
        ----------              ------------------------------

                        or

                     Machine
        | client <-> validating iterative cache |

        as it puts the policy with the policy consumer.

        If you have a validating stub resolver you need to think
        about what cache it talks to.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]