On 2 Sep 2008, at 13:43, Dean Anderson wrote:

> Really? Your position is that there are attacks but all these attacks
> are somehow being kept secret?  People talked about ping floods, syn
> floods, and an uncountable slew of other attacks. Incredible.

My point is that there are a large number of distributed denial of
service attacks happening every day, on a scale large enough to
involve multiple providers and cross-organisational teams for
mitigation.

When new attack techniques emerge, sometimes they make the news. The
fiftieth DNS reflection attack on any particular day, years after the
technique was first described, is unlikely to be newsworthy. The fact
that alarm bells are not sounding in the streets doesn't mean that
people continue to work to mitigate such attacks, however, nor that
such attacks no longer happen.

The existence of closed, operational forums for the discussion and
mitigation of denial of service attacks is no great secret to
operators. If you're unaware, and you're an operator, feel free to
drop me a private note. I would be very happy to let you know about
the subscription procedures and attendant vetting by peers that would
be required for you to participate (at least, in the forums I am aware
of). I imagine discussions of your applicability would be entertaining.

At a higher level, you seem to be seeking some measure of proof
regarding the existence of something. My aim was not to provide proof
of anything, since as far as I know this is not a court of law, a
philosophy class nor a distillery. Apologies if that was not clear.

> If these attacks were indeed happening, someone, somewhere would be
> talking about specific attacks.

And my point is that they are. Your point is that you don't believe
me. I might make the point that I don't care who believes me.
Regardless, I will continue not to lose sleep.

>>> And I was serious about the t-shirt, if the price is reasonable.
>>> XXL,
>> thanks.
>
> Then you should know that this isn't a proper forum to be soliciting
> me
> about t-shirts.

Shame. Perhaps someone else will do the right thing and start selling
av8 t-shirts with such pithy catchphrases, given your documented lack
of interest in exploiting this no-doubt lucrative opportunity.

Joe