On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:35:08PM -0400, Edward Lewis wrote:

> For those of us not reading idnabis, what is an A-label and what is a
> U-label?  I have not seen a reference to their definition so I'm
> assuming these are idnabis terms.

Oops, sorry, yes, I should have provided that.

An A-label is the ASCII-compatible-encoding version of an IDNA-legal
string.  Basically, these are the labels you see in the DNS that start
with "xn--".  Note that traditional labels (all ASCII ones that people
use, like "shinkuro" and "com") are _not_ A-labels.

A U-label is the Unicode "version" of the label -- that is, the thing
that we expect people to see and to type in.  It must include at least
one non-ASCII character (otherwise, it's just an ASCII label, and IDNA
doesn't kick in).  There are some other restrictions having to do with
the legal form for U-labels, but they're beyond our scope for the
purposes of this discussion.

> The problem with saying "these are the technical rules and they
> shouldn't be changed" is that this essentially closes off the global
> public Internet from becoming global.

Surely not, if we are defining an infrastructure by which that
"globalness" may be expressed (i.e. IDNA).  Or is there some other
thing you think ought to be permitted that would be closed off by
John's position?

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.