In message <200903091515.n29ffetp055...@stora.ogud.com>, Olafur Gudmundsson wri
tes:
> --===============0733757033==
>
> --=====================_777355448==.ALT
>
> At 13:46 06/08/2008, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> >Greetings again. The end of section 2 of this document says:
> >    Another advantage of configuring a trust anchor using a DS record is
> >    that the entire hash of the public key in the DS RDATA need not
> >    necessarily be specified.  A validating resolver MAY support
> >    configuration using a truncated DS hash value as a human-factors
> >    convenience: shorter strings are easier to type and less prone to
> >    error when entered manually.  Even with a truncated hash configured,
> >    a validating resolver can still verify that the corresponding DNSKEY
> >    is present in the trust anchor zone's apex DNSKEY RRSet.  RFC 2104
> >    [RFC2104] offers guidance on acceptable truncation lengths.
> >
> >This is not correct. You cannot say "here is the SHA-256 hash of a
> >value" and then give less than 256 bits of the hash. If you wanted
> >to do this, you need to define the truncated hash and use that new
> >hash algorithm. So far, none of these truncated hashes have been
> >defined for DNSSEC, although ones could be defined.
> >
> >Further, it is somewhat optimistic (and possibly sadistic) to think
> >that a user can type Base64 by hand for more than maybe ten
> >characters. This document should assume that the user is using
> >copy-and-paste, and therefore using the full 256 bits of the hash is
> >just as easy as using a truncated hash. If not, new, inherently
>weaker, truncated hash algorithms need to be defined.
> >
> >--Paul Hoffman, Director
> >--VPN Consortium
> >_
>
> You are not the first person to bring this issue up, and upon reflection
> we have dropped truncation discussion.
>
>          Olafur

        On a related issue DS -> DNSKEY translations cannot be
        performed until the DNSKEY is published in the zone.  The
        use of DS prevents pre-publishing of keys.

        I can see no real reason to recommend that DS records be
        published in preference to DNSKEY records.

        DNSKEY -> DS is a conversion that can be at anytime.

        This make DNSKEY a better manditory record to publish.

        Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: mark_andr...@isc.org