On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Andrew Sullivan <a...@shinkuro.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:56:10PM +0800, James Seng wrote:
>> By the same logic, the whole IDN would be pointless because RFC 1035
>> restrict labels to "alphabetic letter" only.
>
> I'd like the reference to where 1035 says that, please.  In
> particular, the following passage in §3.1 of RFC 1035 seems to say
> something different:

<label> ::= <letter> [ [ <ldh-str> ] <let-dig> ]

<letter> ::= any one of the 52 alphabetic characters A through Z in
upper case and a through z in lower case

> you seem to be making my argument for me.  The reason IDNA is
> preferable to some of the alternatives is that some resolver software
> indeed understood 1034 and 1035 to mean that the "preferred syntax"
> ought to be enforced (in what seems to me a plain violation of those
> RFCs).  We have to live with those widely-deployed resolvers, and
> therefore we need to design other protocols as though the additional
> restrictions that are _not_ part of the DNS protocol are in fact part
> of it.  Designing the protocols for the actually existing conditions
> in the network is what makes the design activity "engineering" rather
> than "research", I think.

Preciesly. Punycode instead of UTF-8 was selected because widely
deployed implementation despite theortically DNS should be 8-bit
clean.

My point is that RFC 1123 statement on alphabetic requirement

a) is highly debatable because it is not an explicit requirement since
it is mention in a section called "DISCUSSION" in a passing that
"since at least the highest-level component label will be alphabetic",
in the context that TLD is alphabetic only as a matter of fact at that
time, not as a matter of technical requirement

b) even it is an explicit requirement, it should be taken in context
in the spirit as much as RFC 1035 forbid non-alphabetic characters in
labels.

-James Seng