In message <a65d48e6-b91a-477e-aad0-8777aa57e...@mail-abuse.org>, Douglas Otis
writes:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 4:25 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
> >> The MX RR will be ignored.  There will be an AAAA DNS request and a
> >> fallback to the A RR for security.eu.debian.org.  Newer versions of
> >> sendmail and Postfix will treat that MX RR as a bad MX and reject
> >> the message instead of retrying.
> >
> > Exim also treats the record as a "no SMTP service here" indication.
> > I would even go so far to call this a de-facto standard (which just
> > hasn't been documented by the IETF).
>
> It would incorrect to describe MX records targeting the root as being
> a widely adopted standard to signal "No SMTP Service".
>
> In the past, Paul Vixie raised concerns about even using root targets
> within SRV records, which has always been defined as a means to signal
> no service.  He said that his experience at the root had shown
> programmers should not be trusted to properly recognize root domains
> within SRV records.   In the case of SMTP, there was never a standard
> to properly ignore root targets.  A signaling scheme that shifts the
> signaling of no SMTP service responses to the root may prove
> detrimental.

        If a application is doing the wrong thing w.r.t. SRV records
        then fix the application.  The root servers can handle a A
        and AAAA queries for ".".  Most cache's will correctly
        negatively cache such responses.

        As for "MX 0 ." the sooner this gets defined as no SMTP
        service for this domain the better.  The cost for changing
        this is only every going to increase.

        Mark

> -Doug

Mark Andrews, ISC