Another point:

The draft is speaking abut "DNAME _in_ the root".

According to my surficial knowledge, DNAME RRs 'live'
at the _apex_ of the zone that shall be redirected, not
at the delegation point -- or did I miss something?
Within each zone, there may be at most one DNAME RR,
and if so, it must be at the apex of the zone.

So if you have a variant TLD, this variant would need to be
delegated from the root zone (via NS RRs as usual) anyway, and
the owner / DNS operator of the delegated variant TLD (ICANN
should perhaps ensure that's the same one as for the 'original'
TLD!) simply publishes a tiny zone with the DNAME RR.
From the point of view of the root zone, there's no difference
in the 'look and feel' of an 'original' TLD and a variant TLD.
Most likely however, the name servers for the variants would
be the same as for the basic TLD.

But the owner / DNS operator of the 'original' TLD and its
variants is entirely free to manage the equivalence of these
domains in any feasable way, one of it being DNAME; however,
if they have server software that can perform the aliasing
'on the fly' from a database, they could use that.
It is a contractual matter between ICANN and the TLD owner
to ensure that the equivalence is maintained under all
circumstances, not a DNS protocol issue.

Or is it the intent to have the variant TLS zones all be
served by the root servers as well, to which you oppose ?
I've not heard about such proposal, but admittedly I did
not care much about such questions in the past.

If ICANN would decide to have the DNAME-based variant TLD zones
(those tiny zones with only the SOA, the DNAME, and maybe a few
other RRs) be served within the root server organization, they
would not necessarily have to do that with the original root
servers; they also could deploy additional servers for this
purpose and delegate the variant TLDs to these servers.
Even if the variant zones were to be served by the original
root servers, there would have to be delegations (to the same
servers) via NS RRs, insn't it?

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.