IMHO, the suggested wording is backwards.

It's not that the ZSK effectivity period is shorter than the KSK's, the KSK effectivity period is longer than the ZSK's. The reason is operational, not cryptographic.

Way back in time (circa '99-'02)...consensus of those participating in workshops was that it was wise to change the ZSK a lot but we found it to be a pain to have to wait to tell the workshop coordinator/registry operator to get them to update the key in the workshop zone. So we invented the idea of ZSK/KSK. We just wanted to have a KSK that lasted longer than a ZSK.

We rationalized that a KSK would last longer because 1) it generated only a few signatures over the same time period compared to a ZSK, 2) because it was only needed when the key set changed, it was open to the air less frequently, and 3) since it was used only to validate the key set, it could be longer (thus taking longer to do the signature validation) but not needed in every validation (of records in a particular zone). Because it was longer lasting we didn't have to stop and get the attention of the parent so frequently.

(Reason 3 is why so many TLDs now have the KSK twice as long as the ZSK.)

I'm not saying that any of the above was smart wrt cryptography - crypto-experts never made any statements to us back then. The KSK being longer than the ZSK was for operational convenience.

Also, what was not anticipated was the coming of automated provisioning, like that enabled by EPP, in reducing the latency of getting the parent to make a change. (Around 2000, we envisioned parent zone updates on the order of 1/day or n/week, not every 15 minutes.) At the time too - HSMs didn't exist in our world, and we still thought that all signing would be done on a machine with an air-gap to the Internet.

So many assumptions have changed...but the idea of KSK/ZSK hasn't.

If I were to fit this into the text below...

#<t>
#        The motivation for having the KSK's effectivity period
#        longer than the ZSK's effectivity period is rooted in the
#        operational consideration that a change in the KSK involves
#        interaction with an external entity, usually the parent zone
#        or possibly a trust anchor repository, and this interaction
#        is anticipated to have significant latency (including the
#        need to verify the other party has made the necessary change.
#</t>