I agree, but I am a strong believer in market driven decisions so, yes,
encouraging people to make their own decisions is my preference too.
However I will say that even using a $5 HSM (in the form of a smartcard) forces
certain good IT security practices.  The guys that developed this industry have
really though through process.

May be out of scope but: Trust in the KSK must still be earned through various
mechanisms like publicly documented processes, 3rd party auditing, external
witnesses, key ceremonies.

>       From:   Shane Kerr <sh...@ca.afilias.info>
>       Subject:        Re: [DNSOP] I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc4641bis-
> 01.txt
>       Date:   April 21, 2009 1:03:58 PM GMT+02:00
>       Cc:     dnsop WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
>

> I believe the key of the thread is captured in the following quotes:
>

> Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> >
> > But the risk for the key is not only people modifying it, it is
> simply
> > people *reading* it (a concern which also exists for the database but
> > is much less important).
> >
> > I have no practical experience with HSMs but, in my mind, the
> > interesting thing is that they guarantee noone will read the key
> > without an authorization (that's quite unlike the database where you
> > certainly prefer a few unauthorized looks to a complete loss).

Agreed.  Read or in the case of an infrequently used KSK (low number of ZSK
rolls) - make use of the key.

> This is the key point IMHO.
>
> AIUI, the attack vector that HSM are designed to protect is that
> someone makes a copy of your key signing material without you knowing
> about it.
> Once they do that, they can spoof replies until such time as you roll
> your key.
>
> If an unauthorized person modifies the contents of the database backing
> your zone, you may or may not know about it, but an observant customer
> will at least notice that the data has changed.
>
> So the two are not totally equivalent.
>
> Having said that, I agree that HSM hysteria is a bit overblown, and
> that the actual DNSSEC signing is very, very unlikely to be the weakest
> link in DNS security in any organization.

Agree.

Below looks good.  Take my suggestion or leave it. It is only a minor point and
might be implemented on a secured o/s as well.

> Resolution:
>
> Following the suggestion from:
>       From:   Peter Koch <p...@denic.de>
>       Subject:        Re: [DNSOP] HSMs was Re: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dnsop-
> rfc4641bis-01.txt
>       Date:   April 27, 2009 1:19:45 PM GMT+02:00
>       To:     IETF DNSOP WG <dnsop@ietf.org>
>
> I rewrote the text to highlight the economic tradeoff, the relevant
> part of section 3.6 is copied below.
>

> 3.6.  Private Key Storage
>
>    It is recommended that, where possible, zone private keys and the
>    zone file master copy that is to be signed be kept and used in off-
>    line, non-network-connected, physically secure machines only.
>    Periodically, an application can be run to add authentication to a
>    zone by adding RRSIG and NSEC RRs.  Then the augmented file can be
>    transferred.
>
>    When relying on dynamic update to manage a signed zone [11], be
> aware
>    that at least one private key of the zone will have to reside on the
>    master server.  This key is only as secure as the amount of exposure
>    the server receives to unknown clients and the security of the host.
>    Although not mandatory, one could administer the DNS in the
> following
>    way.  The master that processes the dynamic updates is unavailable
>    from generic hosts on the Internet, it is not listed in the NS
> RRSet,
>    although its name appears in the SOA RRs MNAME field.  The
>    nameservers in the NS RRSet are able to receive zone updates through
>    NOTIFY, IXFR, AXFR, or an out-of-band distribution mechanism.  This
>    approach is known as the "hidden master" setup.
>
>    The ideal situation is to have a one-way information flow to the
>    network to avoid the possibility of tampering from the network.
>    Keeping the zone master file on-line on the network and simply
>    cycling it through an off-line signer does not do this.  The on-line
>    version could still be tampered with if the host it resides on is
>    compromised.  For maximum security, the master copy of the zone file
>    should be off-net and should not be updated based on an unsecured
>    network mediated communication.
>
>    The ideal situation may not be achievable because of economic
>    tradeoffs between risks and costs.  For instance, keeping a zone
> file
>    off-line is not practical and will increase the costs of operating a
>    DNS zone.  So in practice the machines on which zone files are
>    maintained will be connected to a network.  Operators are advised to
>    take security measures to shield unauthorized access to the master
>    copy in order to prevent modification of DNS data before its signed.
>
>    Similarly the choice for storing a private key in a Cryptographic
>    Hardware Security Module (HSM) will be influenced by tradeoff a
>    tradeoff between various concerns:
>
>    o  The risks that an unauthorized person has unnoticed read-access

, or can sign with,