On Thursday, September 29, 2011 07:34:55 am Masataka Ohta wrote:
> The problem is that the report is unreliable. As your assumption is:
> > The purpose I see in this proposal, that cannot be handled by
> > the IP layer, is to tell me which anycast instance is seen
> > by some recursive name server.
>
> even you can't diagnose the problem, if what is broken is not
> your server but the recursive name server used by someone who
> reported the problem and you can't have access to the recursive
> name server.

that happens sometimes.  however, i often end up in an email conversation with
a problem reporter, and i often ask them to run certain "dig" commands.  so,
even if i can't reach a recursive server, a feature like this can still help
me.

> > there may also be some network mapping and measurement benefits
> > to this proposal.
>
> May or may not be.

there are ~16M open recursive name servers right now.  so, i say, "may".