On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 08:27:21AM -0600, Stephan Lagerholm wrote:

> Specifically in this case, you are assuming that the parent knows the
> algorithms used for the DS record. He would have to in order to
> validate. That might not always hold true. Additionally, the record is
> not 'yours', it is just parked in your zone by the child. For the parent
> to Tamper with either the NS or DS is IMHO not a good practice.

The DS is _not_ parked in the parent zone by the child.  Unlike the NS
record, the DS record is authoritative data at the parent, and never
at the child.  As I read the RFCs, the DS record is fully and
completely parent-side data, and is the parent's assertion of its
relationship to the child.

I really think we have to get over the idea that the DS record is
somehow "the child's data" that is merely represented in the parent
side.  That way of thinking about this is a good way, IMO, to get
failed chains across the zone cut.  IMO it is better to think of the
DS/DNSKEY pair as a way of expressing accord across a zone cut, with
each side contributing a portion of the effort and holding a portion
of the responsibility.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com