On 11/19/2012 9:41 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 09:05:43AM -0500,
  Scott Schmit <i.g...@comcast.net> wrote
  a message of 119 lines which said:

Perhaps you're thinking of this expired draft: draft-hoffman-server-has-tls?
Exactly! Thanks. This I-D is not HTTPS-specific, which may explain why
I did not find it.

Someone also suggested this proposal (not an I-D):

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090105_problem_with_https_ssl_md5/

It should be noted that the section of the original article recommending a custom DNS record be "quickly" standardized through the IETF process, and adopted, was actually struck out after feedback by Robert Graham:

   As Robert Graham, co-founder and CEO of Erratasec
   <http://www.erratasec.com/> pointed out, I have the implementation
   process backwards because implementation has always come before
   standardization on the Internet. I must have been asleep writing
   that last paragraph because I should already know better.

       */Robert Graham:/*/What made the Internet different from all the
       other competing internetworks of the 1980s was that people would
       implement something first, then standardize it. OSI failed
       because standards led implementations./

   Either Microsoft or Mozilla should just implement something, and
   document the DNS format that they will accept. Standards bodies can
   catch up later.

I think this is probably wise advice, although there is nothing wrong with getting Microsoft, Mozilla and/or Google involved early in the standardization process...

                                        - Kevin