On 2012-11-21 6:44 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 06:07:23PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> consumer grade and business grade internet connections. since consumer
>> grade connectees should really not be connecting to SMTP servers on
>> other networks
> I do not accept this premise, and I don't see any argument in favour
> of it.  What evidence does "willing to pay more for the same lousy
> service" provide with respect to "is not sending outbound crap"?

that's not a dns question, and we seem to agree on the problem statement
mechanics, so i'm not going to answer this here beyond saying "if you
aren't willing to pay extra for a PTR RR on your end, then i don't want
you talking to my SMTP servers". in other words this is a personal
policy matter for me, and though i know a couple ten-million others feel
the same way, i'm not going to try to enshrine it in IETF's work, in any
way.