On 6/18/13 10:47 AM, sth...@nethelp.no wrote:
Unfortunately the former are far too prevalent.  It's undoubtedly too
late, but unfortunately it might have been better to do the
fragmentation within the UDP payload (i.e. inside DNS) somehow (c.f.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5405#section-3.2).
It is *never* too late.  For IPv6 we are still in the very
early days.
but, what about the 'vast install base'  ?
There isn't a "vast install base" of firewalls (border routers).
If there was we would have 99% IPv6 traffic instead of 1.6% IPv6
traffic.
So I like the assumption that I should limit edns0 responses to something I don't have to fragment.

My goal as it were was to look at if fragmentation were expected to work that I don't really want to expose myself to reciving a 4k response (via UDP) because the risk of an amplification attack becomes very large indeed. Even if I filter fragments (because I have to or as a product of limitations such an attack my be targeted at the infrastructure rather than the endpoint that's the notional target.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. There is a significant installed base
of border routers doing *stateless* firewall functions for various
reasons. Some of these border routers already have IPv6 turned on,
and many more of them *will* have IPv6 turned on in the near future.

Changes to IPv6 handling that require new software for these routers
is certainly possible - you "only" need to sell such a change to the
vendors.

Changes that require hardware replacement (and therefore significant
capex) are obviously much harder.

Steinar Haug, AS 2116