On 03/03/2014 02:03 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 01:56:20PM +0000, Jelte Jansen wrote:
>> I'd think that a domain name is only a domain name when whatever
>> protocol it is defined in defines it as a domain name (or whatever
>> undefined protocol uses it in actual dns resolution). What a non-domain
>> name looks like shouldn't matter.
>
> Are NetBIOS names domain names?  How about mDNS names?  I think yes,
> but neither is part of the DNS as such.

I was wondering whether I should have stated that a bit more carefully,
but 'part of the DNS' might be a different thing than 'could use DNS'.

I wasn't suggesting there shouldn't be any reservations, but 'looks like
a domain name' is way, way too wide a definition. In that case we need
to reserve any possible TLD. Including all existing gTLD and ccTLD's.

As for mDNS, I do not know; you tell me :) Is there a problem in
anything that is *not* either a definite bug in a program or a user
copy-pasting the name in a browser window?

Jelte