Tim,

On May 16, 2014, at 9:31 AM, Tim Wicinski
<tjw.i...@gmail.com<mailto:tjw.i...@gmail.com>>
 wrote:

On 5/16/14, 8:18 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

Second, the Internet is actually working today using those kinds of
CDN tricks.  Indeed, some of the most important and most successful
nodes on the Internet rely very heavily on various DNS tricks, and
without them wouldn't be operating.  If we are serious about "making
the Internet better", surely we ought to have an opinion on how to
offer (as well as can be achieved given other strictures) the
functionality that is in fact ubiquitous. <snip> Either those who understand
how the
DNS works will document what to do, or else people who have no clue
will make more "improvements".

In this bucket you can put in all the 'CNAMEs at Zone Origin" work done by both
the CDN vendors and the commercial DNS vendors in this space.

I was thinking once the Charter had been finished being blessed, I would put my
toe in that water and see what lies beneath the surface.

On a personal level I'd love to see some work done on "CNAMEs at Zone Origin"
as the issue just bit me with one of my own sites. For a good number of years
I've been giving out just the domain name as the web address and that worked
fine with me providing an A and AAAA record pointing over to the hosting
provider (all DNSSEC-signed, of course).    Then recently the hosting provider
got slammed with a massive DDoS attack and in fighting off that attack they put
up a CDN in front of all the hosted web sites.

We customers were then told to ensure we were using CNAMEs instead of direct
addresses... for me this has meant unfortunately having to switch to using
"www.<domainname>" for that site and setting the CNAME there.  I'm still
working out which of the various "DNS tricks" from different providers that
I'll have to use to get the raw domain name to point correctly over to the web
hosting provider.... and given that I have many years of posts out there with
links to the raw domain name this is kind of important to me.

For some time now I've been seeing in the marketing/communication space an
increasing usage of dropping the "www" and just promoting the raw domain name.
I think with the many hundreds of newgTLDs coming out we'll probably see people
there seeking to use only the domain name for their website.

And many of them will want to use hosting providers or CDNs where the desired
configuration is to point a CNAME over to the hosting/CDN provider.... which
leaves them stuck - or resorting to "DNS tricks" - if they want to use the zone
name itself as their web site address.

So yes, I think this is very definitely a current operational problem that
needs to be worked on.

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/