In message <6bbec3af-4370-4f19-8e01-54f7646d8...@isdg.net>, Hector Santos write
s:

> > On Jul 23, 2014, at 9:46 AM, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
> >
> > Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> What has been crossing my mind regarding this NULL MX setup, was the possi
> ble
> >> privacy issue with NULL MX root domain "Traceability" aspect with legacy M
> TAs
> >> performing SMTP "Implicit MX" (No MX record, Fallback to A record) logic.
> >> What will the A query IP resolved to when the exchange points to the root?
> >
> > Null MX records suppress fallback-to-A. The target "." does not have any A
> > records. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg12153.html
>
> So by "suppress" you mean, for the vast wide field of "Null MX" ignorant MTAs
> ,  a positive return of a MX record with a preference of zero, a blind A look
> up of "." returns an 0 ip value and this causes an inherent cancellation, "su
> ppression" of the outbound attempt?

To me "returns an 0 ip value" means 0.0.0.0 which is incorrect.

The lookup returns no ip addresses (unless some locally is overriding
the usual result) and without a IP address no connection attempts
will be made.  A negative caching nameserver will cache this for several
hours (up to 24) depending upon how it is configured.  For named 3 hours
is the defaul max-ncache-ttl.

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0pre-alpha <<>> a .
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;.                              IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10800   IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2014072301 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 24 13:09:20 EST 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0pre-alpha <<>> aaaa .
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;.                              IN      AAAA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       10800   IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2014072301 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Jul 24 13:09:31 EST 2014
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 103

> I can understand how a supportive MTA can leverage it, but I was thinking wha
> t the impact might be for the legacy MTA.
>
> Not all DNS resolvers return the expansion depending on the API and the cachi
> ng servers in play.
>
> --
> Hector Santos
> http://www.santronics.com