On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 09:10:03PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> We'd have to be reasonably sure that no resolver treats is as a
> meta-type and turns the upstream response into a FORMERR upon seeing
> it in the answer section.  “NULLs are used as placeholders in some
> experimental extensions of the DNS.” is not confidence-inspiring in
> this regard.

On the other hand, it saves us the grief of allocating a code point, and
it has an intuitive name: if I saw a NULL RR in a cache dump I'd
immediately guess it was a placeholder.  Your point is well taken,
but if that hypothetical resolver behavior turns out not to commonplace,
then I say let's run with it.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.