In your previous mail you wrote:

>  > => unfortunately this is a change in the protocol the document is
>  > not supposed to do here even it both makes sense and follows the real
>  > world situation.
>
>  I disagree that this is a change.
>
>  RFC 1035 allows the server to close the connection at any time to reclaim
>  resources. It specifies a generous idle time, but clients cannot assume
>  that this is guaranteed - the server might be restarted, etc.

=> the RFC 1035 problem is it doesn't use the now standard MUST/SHOULD/MAY
keywords so it has to be interpreted. In this particular case the cases
where the idle time is not granted are clearly exceptions so IMHO
the right interpretation is a server SHOULD accept some idle.
 This is confirmed by Paul Vixie's post and by a private conversation
with Mark Andrews:
 - me - A server should be allowed to use the (idle) timeout it wants,
  even a zero one.
 - marka - This will break the SOA + xXFR case.
So I am afraid it is both a change and a good topic for a discussion.

>  RFC 1035 also specifies that TCP connections can be closed abruptly, e.g.
>  with a RST. Clients must cope with this.

=> it doesn't change things (and BTW I believe most programmers even
have no idea about how to abort (vs close) a TCP connection :-).

>  A client is buggy if it does not have a mechanism to retry queries that
>  failed because of a broken TCP connection.

=> I agree but if clients consider a broken TCP connection as an
exception, e.g., marking the server as temporary unavailable,
we are in trouble with the current proposed text (or mine :-).

Thanks

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr