On May 14, 2015, at 3:42 AM, George Michaelson <g...@algebras.org> wrote:

> I have a lot of agreement for what David is saying. What I say below may not
> of course point there, and he might not agree with me because this isn't a
> bilaterally equal thing, to agree with someone, but I do. I think I do agree
> with what he just said.
>

> I think that prior use by private decision on something which was
> demonstrably an administered commons, with a body of practice around how it
> is managed, is a-social behaviour.

I think this is completely out of scope for the IETF,   The IETF has the job of
deciding what works, not adjudicating what is fair.

We could never get consensus on what is fair hereā€”for example, I find your
position on this upsetting, because from a technical perspective what both the
onion folks, the corp folks, apple, and for that matter hamachi did was simply
expedient and sensible in the context of the time in which it was done, and not
anti- or a-social, as you suggest. I do not mean to say that you are wrong, but
simply to illustrate that this is not something about which we are likely to
ever achieve consensus.

Nor should we. We simply need to do our job and decide on a technical level
whether we want to add these names to the special use registry. We should stop
arguing about morality and just do that.