On Jul 13 2015, Casey Deccio wrote:

I have a few comments on the latest draft-ietf-dnsop-dns-terminology
(-03).  There will be more; I'm part way through a review.

[snip]

3. The current text for referral is incomprehensible.  I suggest the
following:

[snip again]

Historically, many authoritative servers answered with a referral to the
root zone when queried for a name for which they were not authoritative,
but this practice has declined.

[I know this part was copied from the existing draft, but ...]

Surely this should be "for a name for which they were not authoritative,
nor for any of its ancestors" ?

Also, as such a response is undoubtedly still legal, maybe this ought
to mention what the common(er) practice now is - presumably REFUSED.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: c...@cam.ac.uk