On 07/20/2015 10:34 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
> So... Alec and I did a bit of wordsmithing and what I propose is a
> slight clarification on the existing text, based on this exchange, and
> here it is:
>

>    Like Top-Level Domain Names, .onion addresses can have an arbitrary
>    number of subdomain components.  Only the first first label to the
>    left of ".onion" is significant to the layer 3 Tor protocol, while
>    application layers above have access to the full name.  For example...

*** Like TLDs, .onion addresses can have an arbitrary number of labels,
but only the first one is significant to the Tor protocol. The full
address is still passed along to the services running on top of Tor: for
example, an HTTP server may distinguish www.anexampleservice.onion from
static.anexampleservice.onion, although Tor will only use
"anexampleservice" to route to this server.

Rationale:

- not sure "subdomain components" is any clearer (unless it was defined
in the recent DNS vocabulary draft)
- Tor is not a "layer 3" protocol, moreover you can encapsulate layer 5
sessions, so it's not about "application layers above" either.
Introducing OSI layers in this draft would only bring confusion.

==
hk