On 21 Aug 2015, at 21:15, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> Do ICANN have any process for allocating special-use names that will
> not be used in the DNS?

ICANN today do not have any process for doing anything regarding anything in
the domain namespace except managing the strings that where applied for in the
previous round of ability to get new TLDs.

ICANN has initiated discussions internally on "what must be done before a
potential next round of TLDs".

It is not possible to know, of course, what those discussions will lead to.

I.e. you have been able to apply for a TLD that is not only allocated for you
in the namespace, you also get it delegated in the DNS in the root that is
managed under the contract with NTIA.

You have never been able to request strings for special use that is not created
as a TLD.

The policy for the previous round of TLDs included a list of strings that one
could not apply for.

On top of that ICANN have made decisions for a few of the strings, where the
decisions are:

- Delay delegation indefinitely (sort of, there are many more words)

- Delay delegation as long as the string is viewed as being in the category of
high risk strings (according to an evaluation process...etc etc)

To conclude, today you can in practice not go to ICANN and request any string
any kind of status except the TLDs allocated or the strings that are part of
the current new gTLD round.

<personal view>
My personal view is that the outcome of these discussions in the IETF is very
important input to the policy process in ICANN because I think the most
important thing is that the processes must together cover the complete
namespace used for, among other things, DNS.
</personal view>

   Patrik