My private comment bears repeating in public.

DOMAIN names is about the property of domains. Domains are encompassing,
set-theory/venn-diagram style. A domain and a prefix are analogous
concepts. One is expressed syntactically somehow, the other is a
mathematical property of bounding in a number field but they have the same
basic behaviour.

the UK domain order in coloured book mails obeyed this property: it just
used reverse semantics to the ARPA model.

XXXXXXXX.onion is *not* a domain name inside the .onion part: as I
understand it, the value is a hash, or other function which has no nesting
properties expressed syntactically.

This quality of domain names, the concepts of domains, is a distinct
property which bears thinking about.

HOST.TXT was not a domain system, it was a linear map. Honey Danber had
some qualities of domain-ness. Usenet groups after the great mod.*
 reordering became more domain like.