In your letter dated Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:33:29 +0100 you wrote:
>"needed" is rather a strong word.... historically reverse DNS was a de
>facto requirement for access to some anonymous FTP servers (a use case
>that is now rather long in the tooth) and it was seized on by mail
>systems that were trying to deal with spam because
>
>Mayhap -- but reputation services for IPv6 are still in their infancy
>and so there needs to be some way to distinguish "legitimate" mail
>servers from malware infected end-user devices.

I'm talking about operational experience today.

Not whether it is required by any standards document or not. And of course
I cannot predict the future in this regard.

But operationally, if you are a small party trying to deliver e-mail today,
you have to have reverse DNS for IPv6 otherwise some mail will be rejected or
discarded. And some really big mail providers are right now rejecting mail
if there is no reverse DNS.